Today is the 24th day since the first case of coronavirus was diagnosed in NYC. It was a man in New Rochelle and soon after New Rochelle was put into a one-mile radius zone restriction. Today the governor says that it helped and the spread in Westchester has slowed down. New York City has been the epicenter of the virus in NY State, but the data is difficult to use as a measure of spread since it is tied to the amount of testing going on in any area. NYC has been given many more testing sites than other parts of the state and so the numbers keep increasing. Today there are over 4000 cases in the state. The death rate has stayed around 1%, lower than it was in China and Italy.
The City is on a shelter-in-place order; only essential businesses are open and only those workers and first responders are allowed to go to work. The health care profession is suffering from an overwhelming need and inadequate supplies and hospital beds to care for everyone needing care. Students on spring break have been the hardest group to harness; they continue to show up at beaches to play and slowly the beaches are all closing. Unemployment is up to 20%.
I have been thinking about the privilege of being safe and having my needs met during a crisis like this. Even of having the luxury of taking my car to anywhere I need to go to leave the City if necessary. Here's the start of my list following the model of Peggy McIntosh's white privilege list.
- I can stay in my house in isolation from others and have a library of books to read, music and my violin and piano.
- I can stay in my house in isolation and access the internet and all it's power to connect and inform me.
- I can walk to the grocery store or deli to get food.
- I can order food for take out with a credit card and not have to meet the delivery person to pay them.
- I can get in my car and drive alone to anywhere I choose. I do not need to use public transportation.
- I can go out in my garden and have an outdoor space for leisure and nourishment and peace.
- Even if there were other people in my house there are many rooms and it would not be difficult for each person to find a private space.
- I have relatives who are doctors that I could call if I needed a medical opinion.
- I do not need to go to work to ensure I have money to pay bills or have my needs met during this crisis.
- I can afford fresh food and have access to fresh food and I know how to cook.
No comments:
Post a Comment