Saturday, September 29, 2018

Beautiful Fall day bringing September to an end

We are closing in on the end of September and the end of the first month of school. My last first month of a school year at HM. It feels like a deep breath; I am in the pool trying to come up for air to see more clearly what is ahead. The water is already wide and deep with possibility, but also with force and energy.

Since moving my dining room table back into the dining room I have been more aware of the piano even though it has been there all the years I had made it my music room centered on the violin. I have mom's piano book sitting on the stand with her list of songs that she was preparing to play at her recital at FBH. She loved waltzes and she loved Fur Elise. As I play them I can hear her singing them and I can hear the clicking of her fingers that sometimes accompanied her playing. My hands are a lot like hers; more likely to land on keys than run over keys; more purposefully placed than fluid.

Deborah has begun to take piano lessons and has purchased a Yamaha keyboard. Now I know two people who are playing on keyboards and am wondering if I should give up my piano knowing there is a good substitute. She said that she wants to play classical music. I have the same feeling about violin. I want my playing to sound like the music I enjoy listening to. It's such a long road from one to the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment