Thursday, August 30, 2018

Hot, hot, hot

The heat wave that started at the beginning of this week continues. We are heading north so with a predicted cooling off and the northern direction we hope the next few days will bring some relief. Emma has been hiding out in the air conditioned bedroom with Felicity and Henry.

School has started and after two days of orientation for new employees we opened the year with the traditional visionary address from the head of school. This year he put several stakes in the ground that will forever secure his legacy and ensure the direction into the future: requiring a person of color in the candidate pools for all job searches; expecting faculty to do the equity and inclusion work without waiting to be asked or told by ICIE; setting an expectation that everyone will participate in SEED. I'm glad that this is what marks my last year and that I can now hand it over to people with the energy to move the vision forward.

I started my class at Hunter last night. It was a group with hopeful energy and I had a moment of feeling great responsibility for their success.

No comments:

Post a Comment